Wednesday 20 February 2013

Shakespeare In The Wars? (5th Entry)


“No thank you sir. I promised my mother I wouldn’t.”

Regis, a sixteen year-old boy, from Regina quoted this as Robert had offered to buy him a drink. The significance I found in this one line was that a youth of such innocence was drafted into the army. In comparison, I just turned seventeen and I cannot imagine such responsibilities. I guess this goes back to our older inquiry question in which we had stated that the responsibilities of the past greatly differ from the responsibilities of today. Perhaps the times are different, and youth plays a less significant role in society. On the other hand, maybe the youth of today has been raised in easier times, in which responsibilities coincided with initiative for personal gains or benefits. I cannot imagine myself holding the responsibility to fight for a country. Although I’m sure that Regis is probably scared out of his mind, I can’t even imagine myself in his shoes as our lives contrast so considerably. Compared with Regis, we are practically opposites. Also upon discussing this with another group member, she explained that Regis was a way for Timothy Findley to signify the maturation of Robert Ross. Although I agree, I don’t have any further comments on that. The only thought that comes to mind is that it reminds me of Macbeth, and how Shakespeare used foil to show the difference between Macbeth and Banquo. 

2 comments:

  1. I must admit that it was the title of your reflection that evoked my irrepressible curiosity immediately. Also, I was impressed with the way you start your reflection with a significant quotation, which leads me into the atmosphere of your novel. As I read along, every sentence appears to be not only thoughtful, but also unique. Last but not least, your discovery of Shakespeare’s use of foil in a wartime novel is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the quote and what you said about Robert Ross maturing as a character interesting. I feel like we can clearly see him developing as a character, and I'd assume the military has a great influence on him.

    ReplyDelete