Tuesday 5 February 2013

The Wars (1st Entry)

For our Canadian novel study, I have decided to read Timothy Findley's book, "The Wars." I found interest in this title after reading the synopsis on Wikipedia. The simplicity of the title which holds a deeper and more complex meaning intrigued me as I wondered what other conflicts the "wars" can refer to. Also I learnt that there was a lot of symbolism through the use of multiple animals. In reading this novel, I hope to learn more in depth details of the war as I skipped socials 11 through summer school. Furthermore, I hope this would give a more empathetic view of the war and its soldiers opposed to cold hard facts. Similar to the reason I chose this book, I wonder what the other "wars" can refer to and whether there are more internal conflicts with the character himself as well. I'm excited to read this novel!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to know as you read indeed, what other "wars" are being referred to.
    Your Inquiry question will evolve as you read and discuss with your group. Just keep at the back of your mind what relevance what you're reading has to do with your life and the world around you. It'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I choose my book based on my experience in Summer School as well lol This book sounds fun especially due to the fact that it enholds symbolism. This may help you to make a connection to the atmosphere current in the time period as well. Have fun reading :)

    ReplyDelete